Plymouth Albion 0 Cornish Pirates 38

Albion 0

Pirates 38

12th October 2011


Plymouth Albion 0 Cornish Pirates 38

British & Irish Cup Round 2
Wednesday 12th October

Other Results
Bristol 10-14 Moseley
Doncaster 24 - 22 Leeds Carnegie
Esher 43-10 London Scottish
London Welsh 30-33 Bedford
Rotherham Titans 17 - 22 Nottingham

Match Picture Gallery

Phil Westren's Match Report

With two much-changed sides from those that met at the Brickfields in the Championship just eleven days earlier, the stronger Cornish Pirates did what they had to do and won well against a spirited Plymouth Albion side.

Victory for the Cornish Pirates in this second round of matches in this season's British & Irish Cup competition followed their 50-22 win against Bristol back at the Mennaye Field in September.

From the start of this match a fine kick out of hand by former Plymouth Albion scrum-half Tom Kessell, and then good follow up support given by colleagues, saw the Pirates apply immediate pressure at the main gate corner of the ground. A penalty chance was created for full-back Rob Cook to open the scoring, but his effort narrowly missed.

However, after the Pirates repelled a brief Albion response, they were soon in control of events once more which ended with pack power enabling hooker Tom Cowan-Dickie to register the game's opening try. Cook added the conversion.

Tom Cowan-Dickie

Cornish 'All Black' Mike Rawlings, who had a spell with the Pirates as an academy player a few seasons back, was performing well in the visiting back-row, as was young Aaron Penberthy who was making his debut at fly-half.

Mike Rawlings
Mike Rawlings

After staying patient and soaking up any pressure from Albion, for whom wing Tyson Lewis looked lively with limited chances, approaching the half-hour mark the Pirates extended their lead when Cook displayed confidence to make a break and and run nearly 40 metres to the line for an unconverted try.

More points for the Pirates looked likely before the break, and after a series of penalties awarded and scrums taken there was disbelief from most about the ground that a penalty try was not awarded. During this period Albion scrum-half Dale Farnham was shown a yellow card by referee Mr. Philip Davies, but it was somewhat frustrating that the Pirates hadn't deservedly added to the tally before the first forty was up.

In a very positive start to the second half the Pirates wasted no time to get the scoreboard rolling again, the ball shipped swiftly through the hands for wing Wes Davies and Kessell to ultimately combine and the latter cross for a try converted by Cook.

Entering the playing arena as an early second half replacement for the Pirates was prop Paul Andrew who, of interest, had soon to scrum down against his brother Jack.

Paul Andrew
Paul Andrew

Putting family matters aside, further examples of forward control saw the Pirates conjure up two more tries from catch and drives. The first, a bonus point providing effort, saw Cowan-Dickie score again, and the other was from Andrew, which Cook converted to make it 31-0 to the Pirates.

A flourish of a finish looked likely, with another Cornish All Blacks player and former 'Pirate', Josh Lord, having replaced Rawlings. Another replacement to make his debut would be scrum-half Matt Shepherd from St. Austell, and when the Pirates spread the ball wing Rhodri McAtee timed his pass perfectly for centre Ryan Westren (Main Pic) to run 20 metres to the corner for the final try of the game. Penberthy's conversion was struck perfectly from the touchline.

To their credit Plymouth Albion heads never dropped, their back line an able one and their forwards showing grit, but it was not enough to break down the Pirates to create any score of their own.

It was gone midnight before the Cornish side arrived back in Penzance, and a trip to Nottingham in just a few hours very much on the mind of some of the squad, who thankfully appeared to come through unscathed.

Plymouth Albion: 
M. Lee (G. Espin 44), S. Johns (capt), C. Mitchell, P. Bailey, T. Lewis, R. Avery-Wright (O. Raynor 70), D. Farnham (P. Rowley 71), D. Lee (N. Selway 64), J. Harris (C. Grace 58), O. Lloyd, D. Flashman, M. Manton (S. Matavesi 39), R. Hopkins, D. McGregor (R. Freestone 39), J. Andrew.

Yellow card: Farnham.

Cornish Pirates: 
R. Cook (M. Shepherd 71), R. McAtee, R. Westren, S. Hill, W. Davies, A. Penberthy, T. Kessell, B. Maidment, M. Rawlings (J. Lord 53), K. Marriott (capt), M. Smith, M.Myerscough (I. Nimmo 71), C. Rimmer (P. Andrew 47), T. Cowan-Dickie (D. Ward 63), R. Storer (R. Brits 71).

Replacement (not used): D. Doherty.


Cornish Pirates
Tries: Cowan-Dickie (2), Cook, Kessell, Andrew, Westren;
Cons: Cook (3), Penberthy.

Referee: Philip Davies (RFU)

Attendance: 1,425